Pages

Monday, February 06, 2006

And just like that, it was over.

This past Saturday, which was my consecutive day number 35, arrived in a nasty manner. Rain and wind and cold. No thanks. I'll get creative and stay indoors.

I spent a half hour spinning on the cross bike bolted to the trainer, then a half hour rolling ever-so-slowly through a tight, twisty obstacle course I set up in my basement. Personally, I love practicing balance stuff. Track stands, hops, tight slow-motion turns, all quality stuff.

I couldn't help feel that something wasn't quite right. I didn't realize how not-right until later that same evening.

After my daily hour on the bike, I took the doggie for her daily neighborhood stroll, but felt like I had to go to the bathroom as soon as I got a block from the house. Problem was, I went just before I left home. I made it through our walk, but then it was frequent trips to the little boy's room for the next few hours. I was losing fluids fast, but thought little of it. I just thought I had a bit too much fluid during the day.

Because I felt a little off-balance while rolling around in the basement, I took a Clarinex to help clear out my head. Oooh, more stuff in my system.

We had a party to go too later in the evening, so after I had a beer with dinner, I made myself a nice strong cup of coffee so I would be nice and lively at the shindig. Later at the party, more beers and more strong coffee. Mooooore stuff in my system. Then it hit me...hard. While visiting the mens room at the party for the 900th time, my body finally gave out. Down I went in a heep. Bump on my head and everything.

OK, I come to and realize that I have been pushing my body waaay too hard, and it pushed back. Here's what my life has looked like since Jan 1.

  1. Ride everyday, at least an hour, no matter what.
  2. Work in a very stressful (but thankfully temporary) environment for at least 10 hours a day.
  3. Lift weights (strength phase - heavy weight, low reps) Mondays and Wednesdays.
  4. Sleep about 6 hours a night - at best.
  5. Hit the road or trail for 3 hours every Saturday or Sunday.
  6. Live the rest of your life

Yes, I was very tired. I didn't realize how tired until I slept all day Sunday. It was awesome. But, easy come, easy go. The consecutive day streak ends at 35. I don't think I'll be starting that again.

Lesson learned: REST. No matter how hard you train, you're body will get weaker unless you give it a chance to rest. Just glad it happened in February, not in the middle of race season.

3 comments:

ashwinearl said...

I hope you're feeling better. Fainting is good after an interval session but not at a party.

On second thought keep up the daily hard training, then when we race I'll be rested and you'll be tired. Though you'll still probably school me on that singlespeed.

Seriously. Take care of yourself.

skippy said...

I agree with all that ashwinn said except the Seriously take care of yourself part

Todd Racer said...

To quote Micheal Carpenter "bonking is the ultimate buzz". Just remeber to wear your helmet.