Pages

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Empty

So I thought I had rehydrated...

In my last post I mentioned that I collapsed in a heap this past weekend and that I was going to take it easy and let my body recover. I was pretty sure that I was suffering from dehydration and exhaustion. I was right, but I had underestimated the effect of other stresses on my body too.

I have an extremely stressful situation in a temporary (thank God) assignment at work that is beating me to a pulp. I figured if I got some sleep and took a few days off the bike that I'd bounce back quickly. I was wrong. A few short hours into my (stressful) day, I started feeling a tad light-headed again. Not quite as bad as Saturday, but enough to scare the hell out of me.

It's a real uneasy feeling when you know you take care of yourself the best you know how, and something still gets your system out of whack. So, I decided the best course of action was to visit an emergency room. I was sure that this feeling would pass, but to have similar episodes in the same week warranted a little extra concern. I wanted to get checked out.

As you can tell by the fact that I'm resting comfortably on my couch hunting and pecking on my blog, nothing major turned up at the hospital. After blood work, heart tests, EKGs, and a couple IV bags, I started to feel like myself again. The Doc said I was extremely dehydrated and suffering from too much stress. I'll be taking a few days off from work and drinking lots of water, juice, HEED (from Hammer Nutrition) milk, etc... Fortunately, I wasn't put on any restrictions for physical activity, just from the stresses of my job. Now THAT's a smart doctor!

2 comments:

Yenski Glower said...

So, when are you going to start riding and drinking?

Miranda said...

Glad you're doing ok! I know Paula was worried. (I work with her)