Pages

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Real life

Most regular people don't "get" us. They don't understand why we spend hours and hours in the saddle. They can't see why we devote so much time to our hobby. Normal folks say our passion is too much like work. "How far do you ride?" I wish I had an extra hour of training for every time I'm asked that. "Why do you ride so much?" or "Why would you do that to yourself?" are also asked alot. I say because it's real. You do the work, you see the results. But I still have a hard time getting my point across : You only get one chance at life, so make the most of it.

I'm also asked alot about competition. "Do you want to stick it to you competitors?", they ask. "Do you have an enemy you race against?" Not at all. I have the utmost respect for every person who pins on a number. I think in today's wacked-out world that conflict is replacing competition. Sports shows devote more time to pro athletes jawing at each other than the games they play. One TV show after another shows people at each other's throats. Sportmanship is dying fast, and it's a tragedy. I want to see everyone who races do well. I want to win, but I'm not a sore loser. I'm just thankful that I have the opportunity to race and ride with folks that love it as much as I do. I get beat more than I win, but I never lose at having fun. And, in this great hobby of ours, there are many just like me.

OK Warren, what's your point? Only this: Shut out the rest of the world that says you need to make others look bad so you can look good, encourage others and have fun riding your bike.

2 comments:

bikerclark said...

That was excellant. We should all want to win, but not at others expense.(Well maybe Skippy). I will go wipe the tear from my cheek now.

Todd Racer said...

How about a group hug before the Poor Farm Cup Spring challenge this april. then we can go out and kick some suburban Ass!