Pages

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Gears for the new year

The 2007 mountain bike racing season will be full of changes for me. First, my year will most likely be split between two classes: Vet Expert and Singlespeed. In order to be competitive in races like The Dragon's Back in Craig County and Middle Mountain Momma at Douthat State Park, I'm gonna need more than just one gear. I've ridden up the back of the dragon on my GF Rig and it wasn't pretty. There is no way I would try to race against someone with gears up the dragon's punishing climbs!

Enter the 2007 GF Paragon. This will most likely be my weapon of choice. Basically the same frame as my Rig, but geared. The stock Paragon comes with "OK" wheels, so the first upgrade will be to the Bontrager Race Lite Disc 29, with fancy DT Swiss-made hubs. I'll also be trading the basic Bontrager bars and seatpost for Race Lite Carbon stuff.

It may take a bit of getting used to, this whole shifting thing. I'm so used to standing to hammer up climbs and sending my heart rate into the "I don't want to know" range...

I'm looking forward to climbing in the saddle once in a while, something I've not been able to do for the past couple years.

The first half of the season will be focused on racing the geared bike in races like the two mentioned above, Massanutten Hoo Haa, and perhaps some WVMBA races like Canaan Valley.

The second half of the season will be focused on bettering my 2nd place overall in Singlespeed class in the VA Derailer Series. I had a couple good races, a couple mediocre races, and one really bad (hillclimb) race. Next season will be focused on eliminating the mediocre and the bad ones.

Race on...

PS: I guess I'm gonna have to change my blog profile to read "Bicyle commuter by day, Singlespeeder at heart, MTB racer by choice", or something stupid like that.

1 comment:

ashwinearl said...

Ahh man you sold out. How can you live withyourself. you better give up your One F*** Speed bumper stickers!

Go back to just single speed. Stay away from Vet expert.

Please.