Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Time to solve the medical mystery once and for all

I've been battling a mysterious ailment for about six (long) years. I infrequently have episodes that scare the hell out of me. I feel like I'm going to faint, my blood pressure drops, I get the shakes and headaches and many other random symptoms. These episodes usually last only a few minutes, but the aftermath of fatigue and anxiety and aches and pains can last for days. It started way back in 1999 while I was traveling alot for work. I went to the doctor a few times only to have them tell me that everything looks fine and I had nothing to worry about. I would feel better by the time I went to see them, so I had no reason to think otherwise. A few months later it happened again. Blood tests, heart tests, etc showed nothing unusual. The episodes would go away and I'd get back to normalcy. Then there was a span of almost four years with no symptoms whatsoever.

I started training and racing seriously in 2003. I didn't have any symptoms at all until February 2006 when I passed out at a party. I felt better the next day so I didn't go to the doctor. A few days later I was in the emergency room getting my veins pumped full of fluid due to dehydration. A year or so goes by and it happens all over again. For some weird reason, I dehydrate very easily. The doctors seem to think its being caused by something, but have no idea what.

So my focus for as long as it takes, for as many visits as necessary, through as many blood tests as needed, is to get this solved. No more racing, no more training, very little riding and lots of rest are what the doctor recommended until we can arrive at some definitive answers. It may take a week. It may take a month. It may take a year. At this point I don't care how long it takes, I just want to figure this out. So, I'll keep you posted right here on this blog as things progress. You won't see me much at rides or races until I'm fixed, but I will get better.

4 comments:

Fat Lad said...

Good luck with this, my wife has similar problems and still has to find out what it is....

Harrison Freund said...

I'm no doctor but when I read "It started way back in 1999 while I was traveling alot for work;" makes me think it could be stress related. My uncle had similar symptoms to yours because of job stress.

Rev's Pulpit said...

i think it is the curse of the single cog, that is your SS. She was upset that you were on another bike and is now reaping havoc on you. Sorry to hear of your health problems. Hope you can find some answers and solutions. I'll be praying for healing. Keep up the positive attitude that you always have and remember that grunge metal is good for the system.

Jen said...

Take time to rest and get better!!! Hoping it all works out soon! (not sure about that grunge metal Rev is talking about, that would make me ill).