Pages

Monday, December 03, 2007

Crossing Over

Life is too short not to try new things. I started racing mountain bikes in 2003 and was hooked instantly. I had never done anything so hard yet so rewarding before in my life. Over the last few years I've worked hard to become a better racer. I tried my hand at road racing in 2006 and was humbled. Racing on the road lends itself to a skill set opposite of what I have. In fact, I've become so disenchanted with road racing and road biking in general that I've listed my skinny tire bike on ebay. In it's place is a new LeMond Poprad cyclocross bike.


I'll be trying something new this season; All of my base training will be done on my 'cross bike. I can get in the long miles and toss in some gravel roads and dirt for variety. New epic rides will emerge as I will be able to reach places with my skinny knobbies that I couldn't reach with my road bike. The mountains surrounding my home in Roanoke are rich in forest service roads and will become my new playground.

I'll also be racing my first-ever cyclocross race in NC this coming January. I'll be a novice again and have to learn a new set of skills in order to be competitive. I am awe-struck by how seasoned cylocrossers make dismounting and re-saddling their bike look easy. The speed at which they can pull this off is amazing.

So for the next month or so, I'll be jumping off of my bike to hurdle imaginary barriers and attempting to re-mount without inflicting too much permanent damage to myself. Nothing like trying something new...

4 comments:

Jen said...

When your voice becomes higher pitched we'll know you've practiced and missed. Good luck Warren! You'll do fine!

adamC said...

Sweet bike Warren.I recently bought a specialized tricross comp.I have to get use to the gearing it dont have a granny.Its a blast on singletrack though!Let me know of any good routes you come with to ride.Send me some info on that race to.

Gordon Wadsworth said...

Sounds prety cool warren! One of these days Ill get myself one of them ther cyclocrossin bikes. On another note, do you have Skip Huffmann's email adress?

Wes at East Coasters said...

Ahhh, another one ready to be brought into the fold...
Once you've done one you'll be hooked.