Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cyclocrushed - NCCX Polar Bear CX Race Report

Once in a while I like to try my hand at something new. Since I'm too old to try out for American Idol, I thought cyclocross was the next logical endeavour. Four from Team Taco (3 raced, 1 cheered) piled into the Subaru to make the (deceptively long) drive to Davidson, NC for an event called the Polar Bear Cyclocross Race. The bear showed up, but the polar part didn't. It was cloudy and about 46 degrees, but not frigid by any means.

Goals going in:
1. Have fun
2. Finish
3. Eat Mexican food after.


Things I learnt:
1. 'Cross is a blast, even though it is as painful as beating yourself in the head with a shovel.
2. People who race 'cross seem to train for 'cross. I haven't been training at all.
3. 'Cross isn't anything like mountain bike racing. It's more like trying to catch a speeding bus that has your wife or best friend or loved one on it before it goes over a cliff at 90 mph...on your bike.
4. It's definitely something I will do alot of next fall...after training for it.
5. Training for and racing cross will make me a faster mountain bike racer.

When I saw Ron suffering like a dog, I knew that I was hooked! That didn't come out right...Let's try again; Cross is challenging no matter what level you are as a racer. It is a race of truth. There is always room to improve. I guess what is appealing to me is that becoming a good cyclocross racer is a journey, not a destination. Deep thoughts.



The fun is hard to beat. You push yourself to the limit and when you have nothing left, you push some more. I can get into that. I finished way down in the field at 28th. I wasn't last, or second to last or third to last...but that wasn't my goal. My goal was to discover something new, and it turned out to be harder, but better, than I ever expected. Good job Frank. Good job Ron. Thanks for cheering Pookie!
















1 comment:

Racing Yenski said...

- hah - hah - hah - "Ruff, ruff!"