Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

Anyone? Anyone?

Everyone is chickening out on me. The City of Bedford is hosting a mountaincross race this Saturday at Falling Creek Park, but as far as I know I'm the only one from Team El Toreo that will be there. I'd like some company. Even my lovely wife is wishy-washy on this one. I know it's only February, but I'm ready to RACE!

Just in case you're interested, this mountaincross event isn't like the four cross, semi-downhill stuff you see on the Jeep adventure whatchamacallit program on TV. This is basically a cyclocross race on a mountain bike. You can use a 'cross bike if you want, but the trails at this park are definatley more fat tire friendly.

The race format is also pretty unique. From what I can gather, everyone is racing against everyone else. No classes. However, the higher your skill level, the more time you are held back at the start. The object is to complete as many of the short laps as you can in your allotted time. For example, the beginners have 55 minutes, but I'll have only 38 1/2 minutes in the Expert Vet class to try to do more laps than the beginners who started before me. Think of the handicap system in golf. Instead of getting strokes taken off of your round, you get to add time to do more laps. Whoever has the most laps wins.

Here's the link. Please come out and race. It will be fun. I promise.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You go Nerd Head! I wish you the best of luck. Not sure I want to get into a race with Exp/Pros, etc etc breathing down my neck. I may try to come spectate just depends on the rest of my week. Good luck!