Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Solo zen

Have you ever had one of those rides? One where you just feel like the place where you should be at this exact moment is just where you are - on your bike? It's hard to explain. Last night I took my cross bike to Carvins Cove for a couple hours and just cruised around by myself. I didn't have a plan, and I didn't feel like it was appropriate to have one. No interval work, no set amount of time riding in a particular zone...I just wanted to enjoy the nice early spring evening.

I had a groove going almost immediately. Riding wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either. I just was going at the pace I was supposed to. I rode things on the cross bike that seemed difficult the last time I rode them on my mountain bike. Not effortless, but more like effort-appropriate. My body knew when more output was required and supplied the right amount of energy. Not too much, and not too little. Just right.

I felt like I was going just the right speed. I didn't feel at any point that I needed to drop the hammer any more than I was, but I didn't ever feel the need to slow down. The obstacles in front of me arrived under my wheels just when I expected them to.

I had rhythm. I didn't bring my MP3 player, but I had a steady beat in my head. If I could capture and contain what I was feeling last night, I could package it up and sell it for a million dollars a box.

The strange part is that it wasn't even the fastest I've gone or the strongest I've felt. I just wanted to be there exactly at that time doing exactly what I was doing. I was sad when it was over and I don't know if I'll ever have another ride like it again in my life. But, the next time I go out, whether on the cx or mountain bike, I'll try to get back to the place I was on this ride.

1 comment:

Gordon Wadsworth said...

Great description of what I like to call "My Happy Place" Warren. Though my happy place is more like Happy Gilmore's.