Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Adventures in Yoga

It started innocently enough...a sun salutation and some slow, methodical movements. A few more downward and upward dog poses to get the body warm. Then some slightly more difficult moves. The burn in my legs in a long series of Warrior poses drove my temperature up quickly to the verge of a cardio-type sweat.

Repeat. Repeat again. I thought the power poses would never end. My legs twinged, my muscles begged for mercy. I was sweating profusely and breathing hard.

Finally, relief came in a series of balance moves demanding more concentration, but less brawn. I was on the verge of cooling down when a series of 7 abdominal-torching poses buried me. Finally, almost one hour and 15 minutes later, we were finished.

I feel more elastic. I feel more relaxed. I feel more alive. This is very new to me. The off-season without pounding out endless, mindless reps in the gym is rather nice.

Namasté

3 comments:

Duncan Watson said...

This is something I need to start doing. I will have to look into classes to start.

Miguel said...

I took yoga up about a year and a half ago to balance my other fitness activities mostly running. It's a godsend. I have lots of ground to cover yet but I'm much more flexible then I used to be and it also helps psychologically. And, yes, it's a great isotonic workout.

Skmeetz said...

I highly recommend it! I'm not kidding about feeling more elastic.