I'm once again pondering how I want my bikes set up for racing and riding, which are usually two different animals.
The road bike side of the equation is easy...the Trek Madone 5.5 remains unchanged from 2008. Mountain biking is another story...I want light and fast, but still fairly comfortable. I know, I can't have everything!
- My Niner One 9 will be my primary off-road bike.
- In 2008 I rode it 75% of the time fully rigid and 25% with a Rock Shox REBA up front.
- The bike definitely climbs faster with the niner steel fork, but descends better with the REBA (well duh.)
- BUT...my best race results were with the rigid fork.
- HOWEVER...none of those races were technical.
I can see myself climbing well at Dragon's Back or Douthat with the bike fully rigid, but can I survive the rocks and downhills? I'm leaning toward yes...
The big question is: IS LIGHTER BETTER?