Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dungeon vs Teeth-Breaking Cold

Trainer rides suck.

15 degrees and 25mph wind sucks more.

This week's Thursday night ride looked different than it ever has before. Pookie, Laura & I decided to do a time trial. Up go the trainers and in pops the CTS training DVD.

I have to admit, Chris Carmichael is one boring dude to listen to for an hour. Even though the workout varied in intensity, his monotone-ness almost put me to sleep.

Fortunately, the sound of our trainers whirring during the three 5 minute intervals drown out the sound of his voice. If I'm going to have someone yell at me to dig deeper during a workout, I'd like them to at least pretend to be intense.


Oh well. We got through it and I have to say that for January, my fitness is better than I expected. I have a monumental task ahead of me this season and have set lofty goals for myself. On nights like this when real riding isn't an option I find myself making up ways to get a workout in, where in the past I would have just said "It's too cold" and watched TV.

It's also better when you have other cyclists suffering on their trainer next to you. The three of us had our own little spin class. It was nice to do something different. It was nice to be inside on a night like this. And above all, it was nice when we were finished and could turn Chris Carmichael off.

3 comments:

Jen said...

And just where was your sports bra Warren? Didn't you get the memo?

Wes at East Coasters said...

Dude, I'm telling you, forget Chris Carmichael, pop the computer up to cycling.tv and ride to the thrills of Euro cyclocross. Or go to ccx.nathanspear.com and watch cross for free. It's the only way I can make it through even a 45 min trainer ride.

Gordon Wadsworth said...

I was pretty sure moving to Scotland would not be a step up in the weather department, but man was I suprised! Think warm thoughts Warren. Hey guess whose on a new team for '09! Lets just say this, its gonna be a little black and blue, with a dash of red chasing you down from now on. Later Warren!