Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2009

RACE REPORT: Six Hours of Warrior Creek

The past few racing seasons for me have been full of really cool experiences. I've done some very fast, short mountain cross events that sent my heart rate into the stratosphere for an hour. I've done some awesome cross country events at superb venues. I've been part of teams of really incredible people for 24 and 18 hour events. And now I've done my first solo endurance event.

I'm a fast learner. It only takes me one time bent over heaving my guts out on the side of the trail to realize I made a mistake or two. For example:

1. Lap one of a six hour event should not be ridden at the same pace as a regular two hour cross country event.

2. Not drinking or eating anything during the first lap of a six hour event (at cross country pace) is a poor choice.

3. Repeating mistakes #1 and #2 again during lap two is also a poor choice.

So there I was, 25 miles into it when my body shuts down. It was just about 15 minutes into my third lap of the 11 mile course. The legs lock up, my head starts pounding and I feel like I'm gonna hurl. I was pushing up things that I easily rode on laps one and two. I was finished. My decision was made: I was going to limp back to our pit area, sit down and feel sorry for myself.

I realized that I had no fueling plan going into the race, so it was no surprise when the tank ran empty. I hobbled under one of our pop-up tents, grabbed a bottled water and propped my feet up. I was D-O-N-E.

I ate some Clif Shot Bloks, downed some Hammer Endurolytes and a bottle of Cytomax. 45 minutes went by and I didn't care if I got back on the bike or not. Then like a switch being thrown, I felt better and decided that as long as I was there I would do another lap for fun. Yes, fun! I was so busy racing that I forgot to enjoy the trails. They are awesome! The guys at BMCC in Wilksboro have built a heck of a network of killer trails. They are a kick to ride, and I had a blast my last lap. Even passed quite a few folks!

I finished up my 44th mile with a smile on my face. (Yea, it does look kinda fake, but I was spent and had to force it a bit - I was really smiling inside though!)


Post race, lots of beer from Boone Brewing was handed out, and the event was a great time. Next year I will do it again, and I will have a better plan.


The chicky side of the house delivered the goods as part of the winning three-person female team! Congrats to Gina, Jen & Pookie! Nice job ladies!





2 comments:

Gordon Wadsworth said...

Wa-Rren! Good show ol' chap. Hope you had a good time. Lookslike Ill be coming back home a bit early to get in a bit o' racin. Hope you liked that there fork. rest assured, it was not the cause of your woes. In fact, I think you were having so much fun and going to fast with suspension you forgot to eat. Thats my theory. Im glad you had fun though buddy. Laters,

Metro said...

Just to let you in on a little endurance tip.

Beer = fuel

I'm glad to see you got back on the bike and gave it another go. Nice job dude.

Peace,
Metro