Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

Closing in

New Year's Day (and the annual 1st ride of the new year) is only 10 days away, and I don't own a Pugsley. Looks like I might need one. What are the chances of all of this melting before then? If it does melt, will the trails at Carvins Cove be even remotely rideable?

Doubt it. A fire road ride may even be a bit optimistic. Regardless, I will be saddling up on Jan 1 to begin my winter training miles. None too soon either. Cabin fever is already setting in.

Let me give you an example:

I haven't played ice hockey since my twenties, but I've been online shopping for deals on skates for the past few days. I have no more equipment except for a couple old beat-to-death Nike composite sticks from my more-recent roller hockey days. My stick-handling skills do not exist. But, things like this happen every year right around the holidays. The bikes have been seeing rare action these past couple months. I've been training extra double super hard this off season doing a combination of upper body, core and plyo. My body is ready to do something!

So before I buy a thousand dollars worth of hockey equipment, the Mother Nature needs to cooperate and give me some improved riding weather.

Just a side note: even if I did decide to play hockey again, I would have to wait until fall of 2010 for the next organized league to start. So If I bought hockey stuff I'd go even more insane not being able to play hockey or ride my bike!

Maybe I need to buy a bowling ball...

1 comment:

Gordon Wadsworth said...

I always wanted a pair of Nokion studded ice tires. I think that should do the trick.