Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Admitting weakness (or is this fear?)


I am weak when exposed to massive heat. 98 degree massive heat scares me. 98 degree heat is what is forecast for this Saturday's Fat 5 Enduro in lovely, scenic Bedford, VA.

Know your weakness.

I have a plan. I have a new Camelback. I have a large cooler and a wife who is willing to hand me bottles of winter as I pass. I shall not be afraid.

Know your weakness, Part 2.

Long races scare me...sort of. I've always been a come-from-behind type of racer in XC events. The 2 to 2 1/2 hour mark seems to be what I am best at pacing myself for. A 5 hour enduro is just 2 XC races, right? I've done numerous 4-hour training jaunts this year. Not only have I survived them, I've enjoyed them more than ever.

So I will ride like I'm training, not racing.

Get your mind right.

Slow and steady may very well win this race. The heat will take it's toll on everyone. The trick will be to stay below the limits that can usually be smashed during a regular race.


No comments: